What I learned from my 2.5 hour visit to the AIIMS trauma center
All India Institute of Medical Sciences is seen as the Mecca for all patients and doctors in India. Labelled as the best medical institute, this place is always over populated. And why not, you get the best of doctors at the best of price.
It was my first time at the AIIMS trauma center. My brother met with an accident and had a small abdomen surgery. He was admitted in the emergency ward (because there were no beds available in the general ward – for obvious reasons) and boy, what a scene it was there in this ward.
Every other minute you get to see people coming in – some dripping in blood after a major accident, others suffering from severe pain and so on.
My brother told me that there was a guy next to his bed, who was advised by the physician to amputate his leg to avoid the spread of infection. The patient on the other side of his bed was declared dead.
It wasn’t easy for me because I tend to avoid hospitals and the like, but I had some strong takeaways:
- Life is fragile and very uncertain – the only thing that’s certain is death.
- You need to be a person of sheer grit to be at a place like this – it’s an everyday challenge for the staff and doctors there.
- Love yourself.
Why did this incident become significant for me – I don’t drive rash, I take care of my body etc. Why should this bother me? I was able to find a striking similarity with my day-to-day life and the decisions I took in my life. Here are some of the analogies:
- If you want to do something in your life, do it now – remember, life is fragile and very uncertain. You might not even get a chance at ‘If’ (‘kaash’ in Hindi).
- As a startup founder, especially when we are bootstrapping, there is are lot of events that keep happening – both good and bad, right and wrong. But it’s perseverance that takes you to the shore. Think, if those staff members or doctors would have given up on you because of a tough situation. Running a startup after leaving your well-paying job is not easy and brings a different level of lows in your life but as they say “When the going gets tough, the tough get going” – Don’t give up because ”It ain’t over, till it’s over.”
- Love yourself – it’s you who is going to do things, it’s you who is going to come up with great ideas and it’s you with your belief that’s going to change the world – at least for the few people around you. If you don’t love yourself and take care of yourself, you will never be you.
This small 2.5hr time spent at AIIMS trauma center gave me an important reality check about myself and that’s what we would love to inculcate in our company’s culture and support our clients to the best of our skillsets. You can also check this blog to check out some inspirational movies to give you the next level adrenalin rush.
Planning to build a startup? Do connect with the BrandzGarage team for a chance at a flawless and passionate collaboration.