Instagram’s New feature – IGTV
This year Instagram has released lots of new features.
Instagram always comes up with new fun ways for its users to connect to its friends and audiences. Over the years the new upgraded features on Instagram made it to our favorite platform on social media for short-form content. But at the same time, it’s going very strong for the marketing game. It’s become more important for any and every business to stay on top using new features to reach their marketing goals.
Everyone is freaking over this new feature and you need to know why? Let’s talk about this newly introduced feature called IGTV on Instagram.
This new feature rolled out in June (2018) this year. Instagram’s IGTV is a new app that can be accessed on its own or from within Instagram. But what makes it so different? unlike the videos or Stories that we post on Instagram today.
What is IGTV?
- IGTV allows content creators to upload videos for atleast and hour’s length long and these videos don’t disappear till the next 24 hours.
- The highlight of this Instagram’s brand new video tool is, that the videos uploaded here are in full screen and in vertical format.
- It is a win-win situation for a mobile-only platform and can provide a great mobile experience.
- It makes it more attainable to use IGTV, as Instagram has already trained its users to shoot vertical video through Instagram stories.
- Videos for now on IGTV can be of 10 minutes for most accounts and upto an hour long for larger accounts. But Instagram has mentioned that eventually there will be no time limit.
How does IGTV work?
Using IGTV is easy.
- Simply head to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and download the Instagram app on your mobile.
- Once it is downloaded, open the app.
- Login to your already existing Instagram app account on your phone or sign up for a new.
- Once you login, click on the IGTV icon on the upper right.
- Once you are in the application, click on the setting icon on the right above the tabs
- Click on the option Create Channel to create your own channel
- Keep on clicking Next to create your channel
And you are done! This app is available for iOS and Android, and also on a web version.
On the other hand, IGTV is being compared to YouTube, the giant video-sharing platform that exists and has gained huge popularity. In IGTV all of the videos will stream to users in vertical form — i.e, you won’t need to turn your phone to the side in order to get the video to play full-screen, unlike youtube. This will also be more appropriate for content creators to make Instagram-specific series with the vertical filmed format. IGTV is perfect for following your favorite influencers or vloggers, instead of the Hollywood jet set.
What are the main options you get inside the IGTV app?
- By default, the main screen auto-plays some videos from the accounts you already follow on Instagram.
- The application shows different tabs like For You, Following, Popular, Continue Watching etc.
- The Popular tab shows videos that are most viewed across Instagram.
- If you stopped videos in between, you can continue from where you left tapping Continue Watching tab.
IGTV has definitely raised the bar for video content on social media. If you want to ride that wave, you should have a look at IGTV now. But this app may be one of the first video features of its kind, but I would bet a lot of likes that it won’t be the last.